26.9.09

Truth Barriers

"We are at a party which doesn't love us. Finally the party lets the mask fall and shows what it is: a shunting station for freight cars. In the fog cold giants stand on their tracks. A scribble of chalk on the car doors.

One can't say it aloud, but there is a lot of repressed violence here. That is why the furnishings seem so heavy. And why it is difficult to see the other thing present: a spot of sun that moves over the house walls and over the unaware forest of flickering faces, a biblical saying never let down: "Come unto me, for I am as full of contradictions as you"

I work the next morning in a different town. I drive there in a hum through the dawning hour which resembles a dark blue cylinder. Orion hangs over the frost. Children stand in a silent clump, waiting for the school bus, the children no one prays for. The light grows as gradually as our hair. "

-Tomas Transtromer, "Below Freezing" from Truth Barriers

3 comments:

Ally said...

heyyyyy. do you know where the bone room is? its on salona ave or something. im trying to order some cat vertebrae online but theyre $1 each and $5 for shipping pffftttt. if you are ever near by you wanna get me some? xmas present? :-) :-) :-) i might be making my way up there sometime very soooon

Lauren Wynveen said...

Deal.

Solano Ave- A perfect ride to break in my new bike! :P Wish you could join me. There is a great a little falafel place with excellent french fries in those parts.

P.S. Mail is on its way to you.

Ally said...

i misssss yooouuuu babyycakes bff. my parents found the pic of you from your graduation invite. i placed it in a funny place in the kitchen. ha ha.